Statement of responsibility: Emily Pugh
ISBN: 0822963027, 9780822963028
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xii, 440 pages : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm.
Culture, politics, and the built environment
Germany (East) Relations Germany (West); City planning Germany Berlin History 20th century.; Architecture Political aspects Germany Berlin History 20th century.; Berlin (Germany) Social conditions 20th century.; Berlin (Germany) Politics and government 1945-1990.; Germany (West) Relations Germany (East); Architecture and society Germany Berlin History 20th century.; Architecture Human factors Germany Berlin History 20th century.; Group identity Germany Berlin History 20th century.; Berlin Wall, Berlin, Germany, 1961-1989.
Architecture, politics, and identity in divided Berlin
- Introduction: Divided Capital, Dividing Capital
- Modern Capital, Divided Capital : Berlin before the Wall
- A Capital without a Country : Shaping West Berlin's Image in the Early Cold War
- The Unbridled Buildup of Socialism : Defining and Critiquing Heimat-GDR
- The Dreamed-of GDR : Public Space, Private Space, and National Identity in the Honecker Era
- Capital of the Counterculture : West Berlin and the Changing Divides of the Cold War West
- Back to the Center : Restoring West Berlin's Image and Identity
- Collapsing Borders : Housing, Berlin's 750th Anniversary, and the End of the GDR
- Conclusion: Constructing the Capital of the Berlin Republic
- Appendix: Governing Entities and Nomenclature, 1949-1989.