Statement of responsibility: edited by Aaron D. Horton
ISBN: 1476667284, 9781476667287
Includes bibliographical references and index.
vii, 309 p. ill. 23cm
Wrestling Social aspects Cross-cultural studies.; Wrestlers Social conditions Cross-cultural studies.
- The Iron Sheik and public representation of Iranian national identity in professional wrestling / Zara Mirmalek
- "They ain't like us" : race, class and gender in Smoky Mountain wrestling / Edward Salo
- Latin lords of the ring : politics, nativism and Mexican/Chicano identity through professional wrestling / Justin D. Garcia
- "Degenerative sports and dirty tactics" : race and professional wrestling in Cape Town, South Africa, c. 1880-1988 / Hendrik Snyders
- Nazis, Japs and Pearl Harbor attacks : German and Japanese stereotypes in American professional wrestling / Aaron D. Horton
- Deepest, darkest Africa : cultural appropriation in professional wrestling / Kevin Hogg
- Wrestling with masculinity : exoticos in lucha libre / Ximena Rojo de la Vega Guinea
- Transformed bodies and gender norms : gender identity of Japanese women pro wrestlers / Keiko Aiba
- "A secret fascination" : professional wrestling, gender non-conformity and masculinity / Elizabeth Catte and Josh Howard
- Sasha Banks, the boss of NXT : media, gender and the evolution of women's wrestling in WWE / Christiana Molldrem Harkulich
- The beginnings of wrestling in Brazil : theatricality, marketing and a colorful character / Riqueldi Straub Lise, Andre Mendes Capraro, Natasha Santos and Aaron D. Horton
- The transmission of cultural values through professional wrestling : a cross-cultural comparison / Tyson L. Platt
- The "sportification" of wrestling in France : strength, performance and regulation (1852-1913) / Frederic Loyer and Jean-François Loudcher
- "I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket" : music in the Memphis and Mid-South/UWF professional wrestling territories and the transformation of southern political culture, 1958-87 / Christopher L. Stacey
- Pile driving the past : WWE '13 and mediating the history of WWE through video games / Andrew Baerg
- Lowland gorilla ballerina acrobat : Brock Lesnar, Sherdog.com and the perception of professional wrestlers competing in combat sports / Evan Karl Nagel
- Macho madness and the mania ("oh yeaaaah, dig it!") : mediatization, masculinities and affective memories of WWF's halcyon days (circa 1984-1993) / Damion Sturm
- Origins of the rock 'n' wrestling connection / Seth Bovey.