Statement of responsibility: Charmian Brinson and Richard Dove
ISBN: 0719090792, 0719099803, 1526110466, 1526110474, 9780719090790, 9780719099809, 9781526110466, 9781526110473
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Made available via: manchesterhive.
Description based on print record.
1 online resource (vi, 254 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
Mode of access: internet via World Wide Web.
Manchester Political Studies
World War, 1939-1945 Refugees Great Britain.; Intelligence service Great Britain History 20th century.; Political refugees Great Britain History 20th century.; Political science and theory.; Society & Social Sciences Politics & government International relations Espionage & secret services.; Society and social sciences.; Great Britain. MI5 History 20th century.
Electronic reproduction. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press, 2016. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Part I: I Spy 1933Ớ39
- 1. Defending the realm: MI5 in the making
- 2. Liddell in wonderland: MI5 and the Prussian secret police
- 3. The undesirables: political refugees from Germany and Austria after January 1933
- 4. The mysterious case of Dora Fabian
- 5. Nazi spies and the 'Auslandsorganisation'
- 6. No more peace: Otto Lehmann-Russbueldt and German rearmament
- 7. Flying and spying: Claud W. Sykes, Karl Otten and the 'Primrose League'
- 8. The 'Red Menace'
- 9. 'Peace for our time'
- Part II: Secrets, lies and misinterpretations
- 10. 'A state of confusion which amounted almost to chaos': MI5 1939Ớ41
- 11. The internment of 'enemy aliens'
- 12. 'The largest communist sideshow in London': the Free German League of Culture
- 13. The Austrian Centre - and 'the great Eva'
- 14. 'About the most dangerous of all these organisations': the Czech Refugee Trust Fund
- 15. Whispers and lies: the informers
- 16. Friends in need: British supporters of the refugees
- Part III: Preparing for the Cold War
- 17. Red alert: keeping watch on the communists
- 18. Tube alloys: the British atomic bomb project
- 19. The spy who was caught: the case of Klaus Fuchs
- 20. The spy who got away: the case of Engelbert Broda
- 21. Parting company
- A note on sources
- Select Bibliography